I didn't finish that many knits this year, but I did finally make two projects by Anna Hrachovec of Mochimochiland. I gave them at a New Year's party/birthday party (hot dang, multitasking) this weekend. It was fun to end the year with a cute, fun project for a pair of people that really appreciate their gifts (you know the people who aren't fun to give knitting to, so I appreciate those expressive people all the more).
The first one I knit was Squirrels on Wheels (ravelry link).
Knit out of Tahki Cotton Classic (leftovers from the stash), please do not mind the super perky tail or the misaligned wheels. He could use a trip to the shop, but only if it doesn't interfere with his racing career!
I started this one before I found safety eyes. For those local in Boston, there are safety eyes at Windsor Button. The ones I eventually bought were under $2 for 8 eyes.
The wheels are detailed with leftover pink sock yarn, making this a very stash friendly project. Aren't those the best kind?
My next project was much less stash focused. I don't normally have that much cotton yarn in stock, so I went back to Windsor Button and found some cotton yarn... pink, white and black. I also bought the safety eyes.
About safety eyes. Double, heck triple check your eye placement before you put the second piece on. Once they are together they are locked in place and at least with my equipment could not be separated. I needed to frog the nose and reknit it with an extra few rows to prevent the super stubby face look.
The second project was Pigs with Wigs (ravelry link).
I used size 6 seed beads in two sparkly shades of pink and a single shade of white. I randomly added them in, trying to make sure that I wasn't creating a pattern (no columns or diagonals).
The curls had additional size 11 seed beads strung on perle cotton and knit along. I didn't try to force the beads to the front of the knitting on the curls, and it worked pretty well.
I probably should have placed the front legs further back. It is pretty hard to tie the wig on in front of the legs, so most of the time I imagine the wig will be tied around the torso.
I actually used some leftover yarn to try and help mark where to place the legs. It helped to do the front legs as a pair, marking two diagonal lines with yarn so I could place the legs at a similar angle.
I did the back legs the same way, except I also used some of the yarn to try and make sure the back legs were aligned with the front legs.
These were both a ton of finishing work, but they are worth it. With something like this, the finishing work is the difference between a shape that might be a toy and something with personality.