This week's 10 for Tuesday is 10 reasons you are happy it is March. Now thinking about the months always makes me remember a story that I probably read in the Fairy Tale Tree. Google failed me this morning, so the story goes like this. A woman from a village is out near the woods when someone stops her and asks for bread (you know how these things go) and asks her what is the best month. She being nice and happy says all of them and gives a compliment for each month. Upon going home she finds that her bag is full of gems and coin. Her neighbor wanting her neighbor's good fortune for herself fills a bag with bread and goes into the woods. She meets the same person and is asked the same question. Her answer, of course, is far different. She likes none of the months as they each contain their own special misery. He gives her a gift and when she opens it, she is attacked by weasels (or some such). Now I really want to find the book!
So, I won't say that February was bad. It just felt like too short a month for all of the things we wanted to get done in it. It was certainly too short for the socks I finished on Friday, one day too late for making it within the month.
So, here are my top reasons for being happy it is March.
1. The arrival of spring. I know it is a little like beating a dead horse, because that was last week's topic.
2. Our floors are done and our stairs. They look gorgeous, but it made the last few days of February extra exciting.
3. This is the month we get to finish cleaning and packing, so we can put our house on the market.
4. Less doctor's appointments than other months. It seems silly, because they are just appointments for regular things, but it is nice not to have 2 or 3 of them (or more) each month.
5. Getting my kitchen back. It was the room most trashed by having the floors redone. I didn't do hardly any cooking over the weekend, because it was too much of a mess to even get to my island. Last night I was so happy to be back in my kitchen I made this Mediterranean baked feta with tomatoes with the haloumi I bought. It was delicious even with basic grape tomatoes from the grocery store. Tonight I'm making risotto with my pressure cooker.
6. Spring cleaning. We have boxes to put in the basement, stuff to bring to good will, and rooms to paint. It is the time of year to get all of these things done now that the windows don't need to be closed constantly.
7. More walking. Not that Victor has noticed much, but he got more walks this past weekend than he got most of the week before. I just dislike walking in the cold enough that I put him in the backyard to play when it isn't warm. Yesterday the elevator weather (hey, I get a lot of news from the elevator!) listing said it would be a high of 46 today. I'm looking forward to it, and hoping that the wind is low enough that I can give Victor a good walk after work.
8. Ice cream season. While I am happy to eat ice cream year round even if it makes me too cold, it is now ice cream season. I expect that I am going to need to have my ice cream party early this year. It feels weird that I probably won't have it on the 3rd Sunday in July (National Ice Cream Day). Now I'm trying to find another sweet day that can be used.
9. Lysistrata. My friend's show goes up this month and while I was sad not to get in, given how tired I was for most of February when I was in training for the title of Queen of the Weekend Naps it was probably just as well. The show goes up in just over a week!
10. Monkeys. I don't think March is special for monkeys, but hey I didn't have a real #10 and I like monkeys. Helping Hands is one of the charities I like to support, because I love how monkey helpers aid and provide companionship to people. Besides. They are super cute!