I don't watch a lot of television. Heck, at this point I don't even play a lot of video games (though I used to and not that long ago either). I have a ton of things I would rather do than watch the boob tube television.
1. Read a book. All of those movies based on books? Garbage. Generally the books are much more satisfying than the movie or TV series versions.
2. Sing along with the radio/iPod. At the top of your lungs, maybe even dancing around. It's not like you care what people might think after all. And it is still better than television.
3. The Hokey Pokey. It really is what it is all about.
Not Quite As Lazy:
4. Walk the dog. Victor likes his walks and 2 miles is a slow leisurely 20 min/mile pace isn't going to break the bank exercise wise. You'll get to see the neighborhood, see some flowers, talk to other dog owners, and if you are really lucky pick up some poo.
5. Bake. Cookies, cake, pie. It is always worth the time to make these homemade... and didn't you know that homemade cakes and cookies have less calories? But only for the one doing the making.
6. Walk to the ice cream shop. Sometimes it is too toasty to leave the oven on for 40 minutes. In those cases, escape your hot box of a house and go get ice cream. It's not that far away, and calories eaten while walking also don't count!
Getting the Lazy Out:
7. Pretending to Garden. Unless you are Norma, you are probably more like me. My gardening efforts are a small patch of scrub that has 4 whole tomatoes on it and another patch with some little blueberry plants. I go and make sure there aren't any weeds, keep the bugs down, and wait impatiently for the tomatoes to ripen. Also, I water. The garden can almost always need more water.
8. Go for a Bike Ride. The Beach is only 4 miles away. The bike is sitting there waiting. Just remember your swimsuit, goggles, a towel and your keys for your bike lock unlike last time, and you might even get to swim for more than 3 minutes.
9. Rehearsal. It's what I've been doing almost all summer. You get to sing, you get to dance (umm, if you are blocked to do so), and you get to run up and down stairs like a mad person (Act II). Sweeney Todd is more exercise if you are a lead, but it isn't a bad bit of work for some of us in the chorus.
And Because I'm Me:
10. Knit. Yeah, you can watch television while you knit, but it is wonderful to knit in the silence, meditating on your beautiful even stitches, a perfectly formed yarn over and an elegant cable cross.
What do you do instead of watch television?